In a previous post I revealed Kyndal's bedroom makeover. She chose a Tiffany-inspired blue, black and white color scheme.
Here are some of the details.
See those "LOVE" pillows? We saw some pillows that Kyndal liked on this blog post. But they came from Europe and cost about $50. Since I'm frugal I decided I would attempt to make our own version.
I purchased two cheap white Walmart pillowcases for about $4. I also purchased a half a yard of faux black suede fabric at Hobby Lobby for $4 and a spool of decorative ribbon to match her wall color.
On copy paper I free-handed the cursive letters: L-O-V-E and cut them out.
I turned them over and traced them backwards onto the BACK of the suede fabric. I used a silver sharpie so I could clearly see the lines.
Then I cut out the suede letters and used my best friend, Alene's OK to Wash It. (This is a sewing wannabe's greatest love affair!) I generously applied the fabric adhesive to the back of the suede letters and carefully attached them to the pillowcases, two letters on each.
Then I literally cut three slits in the end of each of the pillowcases with scissors. I placed an inexpensive pillow into each ($2.50 each) and then tied a piece of the ribbon in each set of holes to close it up.
And, voila! LOVE pillows!
I found the "xoxo" pillow at Hobby Lobby for $10. It just brought the bed all together.
Speaking of the bed, I also used a piece of that coordinating ribbon from the LOVE pillows to jazz up her regular black pillowcase.
The balls on the four posts used to be gold. Then at some point we painted them pink. And then at some point they were painted green. And they had run their course! So, I found these sparkly silver and turquoise balls at Hobby Lobby for $1.50 each. Guess what .. they are Christmas ornaments! I cut the tops off them and hot glued them into the holes on the posts. Because the posts were scratched up from the old knobs, I used about a three-inch strip of the faux suede from the LOVE pillows to hot glue around the scratched posts.
I also spray painted the little gold balls a metallic silver.
This metallic silver spray paint was used in several places. On the knobs of the dresser and nightstand ...
on the clothespins that clip pictures to her ribbon bulletin board ...
to the bottom of a green and polk-a-dot metal basket that sits on her dresser.
White spray paint was also used on the metal basket. And, Kyndal bought this stool at a garage sale several years ago. It was so beat up and I always intended to to fix it up. We never did until this past weekend. I spray painted the legs of the stool white and then added a round foam pad to the top of the stool and covered it with more of the faux suede fabric. (I got lots of mileage out of that suede!)
The turquoise basket on the floor was on clearance at TJ Maxx for $5. I scored on this to hold her magazines and books.
I also spray painted this little black wire heart basket I bought at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $1 several months ago.
The items on her nightstand are as follows: The Parisian bowl was purchased at TJ Maxx for $2.99. The vase and three stems (feather, crystal and flower) were purchased at Hobby Lobby for $6.50 total. The picture frame was from Hobby Lobby and the picture was taken at Tiffany & Co. at The Plaza in Kansas City.
Kyndal had also picked out a Audrey Hepburn quote from this blog that she really liked. But I was afraid it would be really expensive to purchase all of those adhesive words from Uppercase Living, so I designed a poster at Zazzle.com and scored a Cyber Monday 50% off deal for a 16x20 poster for $10. It should be here soon. It will go in this regular 'ol black poster frame from Hobby Lobby that I added some extra crystals to (leftover from her chandelier wall adhesive) and hung with a piece of the black and white damask ribbon used for her ribbon bulletin board.
The chandelier wall adhesive with bling came from Hobby Lobby and I got it on sale for $10.
Is that it? I think so. It was a lot of work with a lot of details. But, I loved doing it for her and was so excited about how it turned out!
great room bet she loves it plus it is grown up so it can stay like that if she stays home for college!
ReplyDeleteI love the Tiffanys influence.
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed! You did an amazing job on her room!
ReplyDeleteThat is so special, especially the little details. What a beautiful room, she'll always remember it and look back and remember her teenage room. Such a good mom you are!
ReplyDelete