... of the poopin' kind.
Man, Brynne and Eli are difficult poopers. It hasn't always been that way. Well, with Eli I guess it has. He's always only pooped about every 3-4 days, but now it has seemed to increase to once a week if we're lucky. He doesn't have any stomach aches, doesn't seem distressed. I haven't worried much about it.
But Brynne. Gheeesshhhh! She used to be an everyday pooper, and quick at it, too. Over the last several months to a year, she has started along the same path as Eli. But, (no pun intended), she will go several days without going and then go a couple of days where she squeezes out a little bit every couple of hours until finally an elephant-sized poop comes out. Even that wasn't so bad. Now she's doing this but no elephant-sized poop is ever coming out at the end of the tumultuous days. It has gotten so bad now that she is even dribbling in her panties without knowing it.
She has always had tummy issues. She has some kind of milk allergy, although she loves milk products, especially mac and cheese. She has these severe tummy aches that come on, more like upper GI gas, and I have to give her Maalox immediately. I know that milk products also cause constipation and I just learned that antacids do, too. Oooppps. Her tummy aches have increased over the last year or so, and her Maalox consumption has too.
My kids do get plenty of fiber, I believe. They eat all whole grains, apples, Eli eats broccoli. I even give them a fiber supplement. (They aren't huge veggie eaters.)
Brynne has not had a full bowel movement since we were in Florida two weeks ago. At the recommendation of our school nurse, I have been giving her a full dose of Miralax everyday this week. Although it causes her to have to go very often by evening, she is still only getting out tiny bits at a time. I even put her in the bathtub and told her to poop in there. Still not much. I am exhausted from wiping butts and her hiney is so sore.
I now have taken her completely off milk, am not giving any antacids, have upped her fiber intake and am still giving her the Miralax. I am praying for a big poop!
If she doesn't go soon I will have to take her to the doctor to see if she is impacted, which she is terrified of doing. When she was an infant she had to have an impaction taken care of. Not. Pretty.
I am stressed!
Anybody have any advice?
Poopy issues are so stressful!! Grady has a pretty severe milk allergy with the opposite problem - 6-8 blowouts a day! Have you tried a stool softener / laxative combo (PeriColace)? Hailey has had constipation problems on occasion and this has been recommended by the doctor. The only problem is that the urge can come quite suddenly, but she will feel so much better...Hope this all works itself out (figuratively & literally). :)
ReplyDeleteHave you tried prune juice? It works for the boys.You just never know what's going to work and what isn't.
ReplyDeletePoor kiddo...no fun!
I wish I had advice! We've been having the same issue with Lexie over the past 2 months. At her appointment last week, the doctor told me to give her Miralax everyday, just to keep her regular!
ReplyDeletesounds like she might have a gluten or dairy or both allergy.
ReplyDeletehope she gets better soon
Yes I have advice! Good advice! Go run and get Peter Gillham's Natural CALM. It is natural...Magnesium. Cameron had that problem for a while I give him 1/2 tsp. in water ever now and then and he is good to go. I have that problem, so I take it. It always makes me go the next day when I take it at night. It helps me sleep/relax too.
ReplyDeleteI have severe tummy issues. I take colace, fiber supplements and still can't get anything out but maybe 1 or 2 times every few weeks. The colace really helps. Email me and I will give you more details about what I go through. And as much as she may hate it, I use enemas too. They work, and won't harm her at all, just uncomfortable at first. The other thing is to make sure she drinks lots of water, keeping hydrated with water will also help soften the poo!
ReplyDeleteMacy has issues too. We tried the Miralax, but it just wasn't working for her. (2 cupfulls a day and still no go after 12 days!) What I have found that works great for her (and everyone is different) is Acidophilus. I buy a chewable, strawberry flavored one from Walgreens. It also says No Milk on the bottle! Nature's Bounty. I try to make sure she takes one every day, but if not, the day she takes one, we have a success about 2-3 hours later. We've been through a ton of different things, but this has worked wonders for us! Good Luck!
ReplyDelete