While growing up, my mom was part of a United Methodist Women's "circle" called the Tera Kidwell group. One Wednesday night a month she left our home to spend the evening fellowshipping with a group of women from our church. For some reason it always held a special place in my heart. Maybe it's because my mom was always with our family, taking care of us, and I was happy that she had something that she did just for herself.
A couple of years ago her group disbanded. Some of the women had left the church, one had passed away, and another group had gotten small, too. So, the Tera Kidwell circle members moved on to the other group. They meet once a month in the morning and perform service activities for our church. I was asked to join this group, and I certainly could. But ....
Now that we have moved back to Missouri, and I am back in my childhood church, I have found that there is a whole church full of "younger" women, and there isn't a circle designed for them. Most of these women work and wouldn't be able to attend a weekly morning group. And it has occurred to me that the young women in our church will be the older women in it, someday. If they are not in the habit of serving the church, there will be no women serving it in the future.
I am at the top of the scale of the younger women in our church. In fact, according to Titus 2:3-5, I think I would actually be considered an older woman. Yes, I am an older woman. Deep breaths, Nicole, deep breaths.
I have really felt it on my heart to re-form the Tera Kidwell circle and lead the younger women of our church. I don't necessarily mean I want to LEAD them. But, I feel a responsibility to try to gather them together. Tomorrow night I will be doing exactly that ... At 6:30 p.m. I have invited all of the younger women of our church to gather together for a time of fun and fellowship. I am praying that the women will come together and feel a call to serve our church starting now and into the future.
Since I am one of those older women I mentioned above, and I feel completely unqualified to be one (or the right kind of one), I have started reading the book Becoming a Titus 2 Woman by Martha Peace. This book was written to teach the older women of a church how to mentor to the younger. I am married, have children (one of whom is now an adult), and have weathered many of the storms of a young woman's life. Surely I have some wisdom to impart. It is my duty to take on this responsibility.
I would appreciate your prayers as I embark on this new chapter of my life.
That is so awesome of you! You will be a great source of encouragement for them! And you will fit right in with those youngsters.
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I'm sure you will succeed!
ReplyDelete