Thursday, December 2, 2010

Rediscovering Christmas Bible Challenge ~ Luke Chapter 2


I don't imagine that I will post every day about what I am reading in the Rediscovering Christmas Bible Challenge. But today, in reading Luke Chapter 2, some things hit pretty close to home:

Remember when Joseph, Mary and Jesus traveled to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover and he was left behind? (The moment Mary realizes it makes me picture her like the mom in Home Alone screaming, "Kevin!") Anyway, when they finally traveled back a full day and found Jesus in the temple, he said,

"Why were you searching for me? .. Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" ~ vs. 49

Do any of you have teenagers? Jesus was 13 at the time this occurred. I can almost picture him turning around with the "you are so stupid, mom" look on his face and hear the same tone in his voice. Why? Because I have teenagers!

I know that Jesus was doing all out of righteousness and according to a Plan and he was, by the way, God! But, Mary was a mortal woman. And she was his mother! I imagine her thought was, "I brought you into this world, I can take you out of it!"

I am not raising a Saviour of the world. Heck, I'll be happy if they can just take care of themselves when they leave this nest. I am raising ordinary 21st century kids. And man they frustrate me, especially when they are not taking what (I consider) to be the necessary steps in their path.

But God has a path for my kids that is their own! Even during the moments that I truly believe they are stepping off the path, I have to stop and remember that God can probably handle it. And I have to let him.

Now, on the other hand, I demand respect. And, in my opinion, Jesus needed his cell phone and laptop taken away as punishment for scaring the poo out of his parents and then acting like they were the ones that were crazy in being upset. (I deal with this attitude from a certain teenager in my home on a regular basis.)

It doesn't say if Jesus was punished. It just goes on to say that he went back to Nazareth with his parents and was obedient to them.

Mmmmm ... obedience.

And then I put myself in the place of the bratty teenager and put God in the place of the parent of this bratty teenager and I am pretty sure he wants to box my ears when I give Him attitude about where I am. And I realize that I need to spend a little time sometimes considering that.

5 comments:

  1. I'm smiling to myself as I picture YOUR Mom reading this and thinking back to a bratty kid she used to have at home....and thinking to herself how that bratty kid turned out to be a really great person and Mom. And one of these days....you'll think the same thing about the little flock living under your roof. You HAVE given them what they need to succeed in this world and now you have to patiently wait. Now YOU'RE laughing that I of ALL people said to be patient!

    Love You and love the way you're choosing to celebrate the birth of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tweens are getting there oh how I wonder how my girls will be as teenagers. I was a great teenager my mom said but my sister nearly drove my mom insane. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nichole! How I needed this post. I have one of those bratty teenagers that has recently decided to make it his mission to see how far he can push mom over the edge. (Just this week he told me that Christmas was his second favorite holiday just after Halloween!!! 'HALLOWEEN'????) Anyway, I know God is still in control and sometimes I need to be reminded of that. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That part talked me to. It must have been so hard for Mary, wonderful but hard. Just like any of us moms too. Good luck with your teenagers. I have not got there yet and am enjoying that fact.

    ReplyDelete

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!