Monday, October 4, 2010

Change of Plans

You might have caught in my Menu Plan Monday this week that we have decided to bring Brynne home and homeschool her. This has been a difficult couple of weeks with her. She stands in that gap of being the youngest one in her kindergarten class, just barely 5, and smarter than most 1st graders, if not 2nd graders.

She got to where she was crying every day when she woke up, not wanting to go to school. She said she wanted to be here with me. She said she wanted me to be her teacher. She was having an increase in stomach aches. We thought that maybe she was just bored, so her teacher started having her sit at the computer and do 1st grade work while the rest of her class did kindergarten work. But that just left her sitting in the hall on the computer by herself.

Then we got a strange e-mail about how parents were no longer allowed in the classroom, etc. I was so confused because I had just been told by the counselor to be more present at school until Brynne got comfortable. And I have always worked for our kindergarten teacher. I felt like we were getting mixed signals. Turns out we were.

Anyway, with all of this going on we decided to just look at the facts. And the facts led us to the decision that it would be the best situation for Brynne to be homeschooled as a 1st grader this year.

So, now she's home with me, too. It's going to take some adjustment because homeschooling a 13 year old 8th grade boy and a 5 year old 1st grade girl are two completely different things. I am excited about the plans I have for both of them. Now we just need to see if I have the stamina to pull it off.

7 comments:

  1. I wondered if you might end up going this direction with Brynne. I'm sure she will be much happier to be with you and will be able to learn at her own pace. She'll probably pick up a lot just from being around you & Dawson. You can absolutely teach two! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you will have your hands full, but are doing what's best for your kids. Bless her heart.

    I have the same problem with Caden. The teacher said he is the brightest she has ever had. He is getting into trouble, for talking,etc....I know because he is bored!!! He does his math in less than 30 seconds for homework. He has been reading since he was four. He needs to be challenged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you all the best with homeschooling two kids! I'm sure you'll do great! I know that's something I'd never be cut out for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is awesome that God is giving you this opportunity to teach your children. I so wish I was able to do this with Hailey. She is a super-overachiever, does her homework on the bus, and has taught herself multiplication. But, with her 2 younger brothers at home still, I think we would both be too distracted. Luckily, the school is working with us and has enrichment programs in the elementary schools. I wish you great luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you've made the right choice for her! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I know how hard it can be to have one be at that level and not want to go to school! I'm sure she'll do great at home! Hopefully it will be an easy transition to have them both at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Nicole...you will do great! Just knowing in your heart and soul that this is the right decision for Brynne will carry you through.

    ReplyDelete

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!