As usually happens with me, I have been presented with a couple of opportunities during this busy season (that is only going to get busier over the next couple of months).
I was asked by our Interim Pastor to work for him a few hours a week doing some administrative duties. Our little church is going through some transition and everybody needs to pitch in where they can during this time. I have not given him an answer yet because I need to make sure that I can meet his true needs, and that it will fit into our very busy schedule without taking me away from my family. I have a couple of ideas that should allow me to do this job without much schedule-tweaking.
And then there is the big one. Last winter I had the opportunity to write a Course Description and Weekly Lesson plans for a Master's-level Business Law course for a Christian University. I loved doing it! I was contacted by the consulting firm a couple of days ago about writing another curriculum. The pay is almost three times the last assignment. I was so excited about getting to do this again!
But, when I got the contract I realized that it will require me to do much more than just plan the Course Description, Weekly Objectives and Weekly Lesson plans. It will also require me to plan the specific class assignments, lectures, and all. And I froze.
I don't know if I am smart enough to do this. I am not a college professor. And it's been a couple
My initial thought is that I don't want to do it because I am afraid that I will look like an idiot to the project manager of my assignment. I have lots of questions and need lots of guidance. And they are paying me, so I assume they want me to know what I am doing.
But then I think of Dawson. How many times has he refused to do something out of fear that someone will notice that he's not perfect at it the first time he tries it. What kind of example will I be if I turn down the job for that reason alone. But what kind of example will I be if I have him share in this journey with me and see me accomplish something, even when I feel inadequate.
I am kind of looking at this like a book deal. I am a writer who just has ideas. It's up to the editor to take my planning, my words, my ideas, and help me put them into a publishable product.
I am still thinking about this. It is the busy season and I will require some time from me. I want to talk with Rick about it some more, and the kids.
I want to do it. But I am afraid.
I hear you I was afraid to go back to college but I'm so glad I did! not only am I proving to myself I can do anything I'm also showing my girls you can do anything you set your mind to in your lifetime.
ReplyDeletegood luck!!!! pray and god will give you the answers you need.
I think you should do it! You are a very intelligent woman, and I think it's going to be much easier than you think!
ReplyDeleteYou are wise to be cautious & talk with Rick about adding to your already busy schedule. However, your fear of being inadequate will only spur you on to doing your absolute best. I'm not saying you should be afraid (you seem to dominate anything that you set your mind to)... just the opposite. Be strong & courageous! You can totally do this if it will fit in your schedule! :)
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, you are totally smarter then college kids. They are barely out of their teens! They binge drink for a living! (maybe not at a Christian school, but I bet half of them do) You are smart and ambitious.
ReplyDeleteSecond, fear does not come from the Lord. So don't let fear stop you from doing it.
Talk to Rick and pray about it. God will give you peace with your decision.
And think how awesome all that $ will be!
Put on your red coat and nothing can stop you!!!!
ReplyDelete