Beginning in the years leading up to World War I, the drama centers on the Crawley family and their servants.
Lord Crawley sees his family heritage, especially the grand country
home Downton Abbey, as his mission in life. The death of his heir
aboard the Titanic means distant cousin Matthew Crawley, a Manchester
lawyer, suddenly is next in line and accepts moving onto the vast
estate with his even more modernist, socially engaged mother, who
clashes with his lordship's domineering, conservative ma the dowager.
Marrying off the daughters is another concern. Meanwile the butler
presides over a staff which serves the family but also lead most of
their entire lives in the servants quarters, intriguing amongst
themselves.
I spent Sunday watching all five of the seven episodes of Season 1. It was a wonderful way to spend my Sunday. After each episode I would get up and do a bit of housework, and then reward myself with the next exquisite episode. I am finishing Season 1 today.
I'll purchase Season 2 on dvd if I need to. It's worth it! I encourage you to spend some "mom time" watching and enjoying it!
My friend also told me about some books relating to the movie. She's hogging them right now, but I'm going to request them from the library.

I love this series and did the same thing on a rainy Sunday - what are the book titles? I love historical dramas (films & books). -Natalie
ReplyDeleteSome titles available at our library are:
ReplyDeleteLady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by Fiona, Countess of Carnarvon
Below Stairs: the classic kitchen maid's memoir that inspired Upstairs, Downstairs and Downton Abbey by Margaret Powell
Thank you- I've put them on my reading list (I'm picking up Almost Amish.. this evening from my library :-). I highly recommend the Upstairs/Downstairs series if you haven't seen it (the one made in the 1970's - NOT the newer one). -Natalie
ReplyDeleteI've heard a lot about it! I'll have to check it out!
ReplyDelete