To say that I am exhausted after this past weekend would be a total understatement! A few months ago my sister asked me if I would come up to Kansas City to help her get the baby's nursery ready. What that really meant was a complete make-over. Since she was having a baby shower this past Sunday, we decided that this weekend would be a great time to do it.
I grabbed a good Danielle Steel book on cd and headed to Kansas City BY MYSELF on Friday afternoon.
| There was a whole convoy of these kinds of cars on the way there. (Did you think this was me?) |
I got there at about 6:00 p.m. As nesting has certainly set in with my sister, she had decided that while I was painting she would organize the kitchen, dining room, living room, and hall bathroom. When I arrived she was in tears. She was nesting and hormonal. She was overwhelmed and needed some perspective.
A little back story. Her home in Kansas City has really been more her husband's pad for the past ten years (both before they got married, and after). Over the past few years she has been so busy working and spending time with my parents and working more, that she hasn't really worried about making any steps to move the house from bachelor pad to home. But now that she will be having her baby, and cutting her work schedule way down, and spending a lot more time at her home, she wants it organized and decorated.
You see, her husband is a police officer with a lot of police stuff, and a workout and health nut with a lot of that kind of stuff, and a Nascar fan with a lot of that kind of stuff. My sister is a minimalist and doesn't like "stuff".
Back to the story ... when I arrived Friday night, she was in tears. Being the older sister, I calmed her and we left to go eat and make some plans. To make an (already) long story short, by Friday night we had completely cleaned and organized the living room and kitchen, partially decorated the living room, and I had done all the prep work for painting the nursery. This may not sound like a lot, but HOLY SMOKES! And, what a difference! She was already feeling better.
| Wish I had a "Before" so you could see what a transformation this really was ... |
| ... especially this! |
On Saturday we painted the nursery, put together the furniture, completely decorated the nursery, went shopping for more goodies for the house, and completely decorated the hall bathroom, living room, dining room, and kitchen. The only thing left to do was hang a few more curtains, which I did on Sunday morning.
Her house was a whole new house! And her husband, who likes his "stuff" and likes how he has it, even smiled once we were done. THAT was a huge accomplishment! ... really, you have no idea how huge.
On Sunday, an exhausted group of ladies got ourselves prettied up and went to a posh little raquet club in Kansas for a baby shower hosted by some of my sister's hair clients. It was a really fun shower, getting to meet the clients she talks so much about. And her clients were excited to meet the family she talks so much about. And, it was a room full of REALLY GREAT HAIR!
| Kristen with the Hostesses |
| Kristen with the paternal and maternal grandmas |
Dawson was a good sport and came to the shower (so that I didn't have to drive an extra two hours to pick him up), and I brought him home after his two weeks spent in Missouri working with my dad. He was the "hit" of the shower. He's a charmer.
| The oldest set of cousins. Rylee will be Ashtyn's big sister. |
| Dawson pointed out that I wore this same outfit on Mother's Day. He's right. |
Dawson and I left Kansas City at about 4:30 p.m. and made the long drive back to Oklahoma. We picked up one of his best friends on the way home for some "guy time". I was glad to get back home to my family and my doggies. I was exhausted, and still am today.
But it was a great weekend. I was so glad to be able to help my sister and to be a part of getting my niece's nursery decorated.
And now that I'm back to my life, it's time to get my own home cleaned, organized, and some meals planned. Here's what's on our menu ...
Monday ~ Chicken with garlic and thyme, green beans and boiled new potatoes from the garden
Tuesday ~ Beef soft tacos with pineapple salsa
Wednesday ~ Cheesy shells and greens
Thursday ~ Rick's birthday, hmmmm ......
Friday to Sunday ~ The kids are staying home with grandma while Rick and I go on a much-needed anniversary weekend. It will be a weekend of relaxation!!

What a huge blessing you were to your sister! I am sure she appreciates you so much!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful sister! You did a fantastic job and the nursery is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYou are a wonderful sister! I'm sure you helped relieve her of a lot of stress. The living room and nursery look fantastic! So glad you had a great weekend!
ReplyDelete