I'm typically known as a Grinch when it comes to Christmas. I've been that way for years. I have often said that if it wasn't for the kids I wouldn't even put up a Christmas tree. Yes, it's that bad! Last year Rick was on a business trip when it was time to decorate the house and I did it all myself. I was actually tempted to say curse words during the process. I had to have a discussion with myself about my attitude to continue with a joyful heart and spirit.
We have tried different things at Christmas. We've gone to church. We've had family here. We've gone back home. Every year has left something lacking. The Spirit of Christmas was just not present!
It all starts every year at about the beginning of October. I get annoyed at the Christmas decorations that are already out. I don't want to hear Christmas music continuously from November 1st-December 31st! I get worn out with the commercialism and stress over gifts and spending days decorating a house that nobody even sees. Every year I say, "Why do we do this?"
By Christmas morning, some kind of expectation has not been met so we're all grouchy.
Last year we had a huge snow and ice storm on Christmas Eve. Kyndal was in Missouri and so was my extended family. They were all supposed to drive down Christmas morning. I had the house decorated and cleaned, the big turkey and fixins ready to cook and nobody was here to enjoy it .... nobody except for Rick and me, Dawson, Eli and Brynne. And you know what? It was a simple, white-covered, peaceful and lovely Christmas! Everyone enjoyed it. (With the exception of having to take down all those many decorations, it was a perfect Christmas weekend.)
So when Brynne and I read the book An Early American Christmas by Tomie dePaola, I instantly knew why I had been so disillusioned with Christmas for so long and exactly how I want our family to spend our Christmas this year.
The whole time I was reading the book I was so at peace, and had a huge smile on my face. I felt happy at the thought of Christmas! If you know me, you know what a big accomplishment this is!
(btw ... the same type of thing happened to us on Easter this year and it was the most meaningful Easter we ever celebrated.)
In the book, the Early Americans did not celebrate Christmas for a month or more. They started really preparing just a few days before. It was a homemade Christmas. It was simple. They celebrated time together as a family. And they did all as a welcome to the Christ Child.
They made homemade bayberry candles, paper ornaments, moravian stars, apple ring and popcorn garlands, painted nuts as ornaments, baked lots of Christmas cookies. They decorated a small, real tree. It was brought into the home on Christmas Eve. The family put out a nativity set. They lit the candles as a welcome to Jesus. They sang Christmas hymns.
Sound peaceful to you?
I had already made a decision that I would only be putting up a Christmas tree and stockings this year. Our fake tree had finally gone caput at the end of last Christmas, so we were going to have to buy a new tree this year.
My desire for a simpler and more meaningful Christmas, and my reading of this book, have given me an idea for how I would like us to spend this Christmas. Rick and I have discussed it and he said, "Go for it."
Soooooooo, stay tuned for our plans. I can tell you that it will resemble the Early American Christmas I described above.
(Yes we will still have presents and fun and movies and games and eating. I do have kids who love electronics.)
I don't think I have ever been as excited for Christmas as I am right now!

Good for you girl! Everyone is different when it comes to holidays. Now I do love Christmas, the decorating, the smells, the music ohhh and the food! But I think for me it's simply because it brings me back to my childhood and such great memories of family time. Since both my parents were only children and all my grandparents had passed away before I was 6, it was just my sister, my parents & me...every year. So I have great memories and get so excited to start getting ready for it after Thanksgiving. But I do hate the commercialism of Christmas. Putting stuff out sooo early...it's just not what it's about. I'm glad you found the spirit of Christmas that fits you :)
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read more! I also get stressed over the whole decorating issue. (I have 3 trees and was thinking of putting up one more this year). Why??? That's the magic question at this point. I want to simplify it and I want to enjoy the time with my family. Please tell me how .... :0)
ReplyDeleteI plan to do "An Old Fashioned Christmas Overview" post the day after Thanksgiving with an, um, overview of what we will be doing. Then starting December 1st I will start posting specifics with photos and links as to each thing we are doing so anyone can join along who might want to.
ReplyDeleteWhat a GREAT idea. This will really serve as a good lesson for your family and I'm sure the day will come they'll tell their children about this Christmas.
ReplyDeleteThe way this is going, I'm expecting by the first of February you'll be getting rid of your indoor plumbing and putting an old outhouse in your back yard!
I hope you have the Christmas that you dream of!
ReplyDeleteRight now I am sitting in the middle of a Christmas mess! I am procrastinating by reading blogs instead of decorating. I get mine up early every year so I can enjoy it longer. It's a big pain, but for me it's totally worth it. I get giddy about Christmas. I can't wait to see what you do though! It sounds like it will be really special!
ReplyDelete