Monday, January 3, 2011

Menu Plan Monday ~ A New Year

** Update with recipes


Mmmmm ... can you smell it? No it's not the smell of something savory in my crockpot. It's the smell of a new year, with all of it's hopes and dreams.

In December of 2001 I quit work to stay home to take care of my family full-time. It was that December that I started a meal calendar. Yes, it was a separate calendar just for my meals. Now I have a fancy-schmancy calendar that my husband created for me with a slot for meal planning. The point is: I've been planning meals for 9 years now. And it's the greatest organizational tool and money-saver I have in my arsenal.

So, here's to a new year of meal planning. And our first week features:

Monday ~ Mini roast beef and swiss sandwiches on leftover Christmas rolls (in the freezer)

Tuesday ~ Smothered chicken and mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli (for smothered chicken, I just slow cook cut pieces of chicken breasts in a skillet with a lid, with a sauce of cream of mushroom soup and a little bit of milk and salt. Someone suggested adding peppers and onions, and Id think some fresh sliced mushrooms would be good, too!)

Wednesday ~ Still Fend for Yourself (we've also been doing this for 9 years!)

Thursday ~ Grilled burritos (this is a recipe from my good friend Frugal Jen. I just use whole wheat flour tortillas, fill them with refried beans, black beans, cheese and whatever else anyone wants, then grill them on my George Foreman until browned. Serve with salsa and sour cream.)

Friday ~ Meatball subs and chips

Saturday ~ Kids a pizza while Rick and I go to his company's New Year's dinner

Sunday ~ A dinner from our freezer (from last year's "Freezer Friday" supply)

Now, go get those meals planned! And if you need some inspiration, go to OrgJunkie for some ideas.

5 comments:

  1. I've only been planning our meals for less than a year now and I could kick myself for not doing it much, much sooner. What a way to save money, huh? It's amazing. And my favorite part ... not wondering "what's for dinner?".

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm....smothered chicken! Yum-mo! I'm going to try this....how do you make it?? :) I'm picturing Applebee's smothered chicken, complete with sauted onions, peppers, and melted swiss cheese....something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smothered chicken sounds delicious! I can't wait until we have a fend for yourself night. I love that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also can't wait for fend for yourself! It'll be awhile... since my kids really aren't old enough. But it sounds like a nice relief!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will have to post about grilled burritos yum I love Mexican food and have never done that. I would love to see yours.

    ReplyDelete

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!