Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Rarity

On Thursday and Friday I got to do something that I seriously cannot remember the last time I did .... I was HOME ALONE all day!

That would have been my life starting last school year when Brynne started kindergarten. But, by early summer it was decided I would homeschool Dawson and then right after school started it was decided that I would also homeschool Brynne. So much for having all the kids in school and being home alone every day.

I couldn't be happier about that situation, by the way. But, an occasional day alone wouldn't kill me!

What did I do with my rare days alone???? ..... I cleaned house (from top to bottom), I grocery shopped and I planned history curriculum for next year. Yes, I lead a glamorous life!

Actually, I am sitting in my very clean house very happy that I spent my time alone to spruce it up! This is the first time it has been collectively clean from top to bottom in a long, long, long time! Usually the downstairs gets it's weekly cleaning, but the upstairs gets terribly neglected. It feels so good to have a clean house!

And I am up to week 21 of 36 of the history curriculum I am writing for Dawson and Brynne for this next school year. It is really time consuming to do, so having quiet time to do it was invaluable.

And grocery shopping (and browsing clearance aisles at Hobby Lobby) alone? Hmmmm ... that was kind of nice.

But I realized that, really, these days weren't that much different than how it usually is around here. That's how great my kids are. On any given day, I am free to do what I want when I want. Kyndal is usually running around with her friends or at work. Dawson is usually in his 'man cave' upstairs playing video games or watching Netflix. Eli and Brynne play together so well that they are always somewhere doing something together. They don't ever need to be entertained.

I'll be honest. I enjoyed my time. But there were moments that the house was waaaaaaayyyy too quiet and I missed them. I am grateful for my kids.

2 comments:

  1. A little quiet alone time can be a sanity saver, especially when used well. But like you, I am even more grateful for the time WITH my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny! I recently had time alone at home, and I cleaned too! I do end up missing my kids after a few hours though!

    ReplyDelete

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!