How did you [and your husband] meet?
Rick and I met at a church event called Camino. I lived in Springfield, Missouri. He lived in Joplin, Missouri. Both of our churches were participating. It's kind of a long, complicated story. But the short version is that I felt led to buy him a small gift and card when he was giving his testimony on the Men's weekend, even though I didn't know him (no women allowed except to pray in the prayer chapel, so the gift just went to him with all the others). What I wrote in the card touched him and after the weekend he called me. That was in October of 2000. We were engaged within three months. Yeah, God was involved there, huh?
What did you do on your first date?
He drove to Springfield, which is a little over an hour away from Joplin, and took me to dinner at Zio's. After dinner we walked around a cute, little pond behind one of the hospitals in town. He kissed me for the first time at one of the picnic tables. It was chilly, because it was October, so we came back to my house and sat on my front porch talking until about 1 a.m., covered in a blanket.
What’s the best romantic getaway you’ve been on?
We've been on some great ones. Bermuda and Hawaii definitely top the list. However, our honeymoon to San Antonio and anniversary trip back to Springfield were pretty darned awesome!
| Driving up Haleakala Crater in Maui. We were way up there in the clouds and it was getting cold! |
What would the ultimate romantic getaway be??
Ultimate ... I don't know. I think about our honeymoon when we just walked around San Antonio, having lunch, stopping in a bar for a margarita, doing a little local shopping. I feel most romantic when it's just the two of us, hand-in-hand, a couple, without kids, alone and free to just be together. My ultimate vacation wish is to go to Greece and Italy.
What are your songs?
"From this Moment On" by Shania Twain and Bryan White.
|
If you were to make a special dinner for him, what would you make?
Jalapeno poppers for an appetizer, probably Jalapeno Chicken Enchiladas for dinner, and homemade cookies and milk for dessert.
What was the coolest gift you ever bought him?
We are pretty practical when it comes to gifts. But, the most creative and out-of-the-box would have to be the portraits I had done of myself for him, including the "For His Eyes Only" album.
What is your favorite gift that he bought for you?
Again, I love the practical things, like my travel pyrex dishes and books I want from Amazon. I've gotten tons of enjoyment out of my patio furniture and porch swing, Purple Martin house and hummingbird feeder. He really buys me anything I want, so I am always happy. This Christmas I got an iPad. So, I am always smiling when I open gifts from him. But, the ones I hold closest to my heart are the ones where he has heard me say I wanted something, and he just buys it without me asking for it. Like last week, he went to Walmart to buy donuts and chocolate milk for the kids for Sunday morning before church. He came home and handed me the movie "The Help", that he had bought because he knew that I really wanted to see it because I had loved the book so much.
Finish this sentence, “It makes me laugh when my husband…
retells me those certain stories from his past ... the gum story, the movies story, the "Ben" story. And, he is just really funny, very quick-witted. So, I am laughing A LOT!
What are some every day ways that you show love for each other?
He is so much better at this than I am. I always feel loved by his actions. He calls to check on me during the day, to see how our day is going. He always does certain things, like make the bed, clean up the kitchen after dinner. He will watch what I want on t.v. before he watches what he wants. He rubs my feet when I am laying on the couch and, almost every night, rubs my head while I go to sleep. Speaking of sleep, he not only puts up with my "sleeping necessities", but he prepares them for me. He tries to make my day easier, every day, by asking me what I need and helping me out even when I don't ask for something. I just hope that my attempts to take care of everything at home, so that he has little to actually do here, makes him feel loved. Since he works all day, away from home, I want his home to be a place for him to relax and feel secure.
| Our 10 year anniversary. We spent it at home. |
What are some things you like to do together?
We are not overly compatible in our hobbies. We do like to go out to dinner, and the movies. I think my favorite thing for us to do together is to go on a grocery store date. We grab a bite to eat, and go get groceries together. I like his companionship. He's someone I just like to spend time with. This summer we do have plans for me to go out on the golf course with him some, either riding in the cart reading my book or walking the shorter courses with him.
| At a golf course in Bermuda. |
If you could give your husband anything, what would it be?
A new car. And everyday Joy.
What cologne do you love your husband to wear?
My husband doesn't wear cologne, and I am happy. I feel like guys who wear cologne want to be smelled. It gags me, really. I like a clean, fresh-smelling man. This sounds odd, but I love the smell of my husband's deodorant when I hug him.
Finish this sentence, “My husband is especially attractive when…
he is being tender to our children, making a memory with them (like the "Daddyquake"), hanging out or joking with Dawson, also when he steps up to give to someone in need.
I love my marriage because…
I feel like I have a partner in this difficult life, that I'm not going at it alone. I feel safe and secure. I look at us and think that we will be a cute old couple, eccentric, but cute. I know that Rick has ALWAYS got my back, probably even more than I want him to at times. He would do anything for me, of that I am sure.
I recently read the following passage on another blog wherein she was describing that she was no longer saying she is "happily married", but instead saying that she is "gratefully married". She said, "there is a somber joy. . a contentment. . . a feeling of unbelievable gratefulness and humbleness in a long marriage. We are co-laborers in our home and life."
Happiness is fleeting, oh so fleeting. But gratefulness is something I feel deep in my soul that can't be fleshed out by life's circumstances. In fact, life's circumstances only make it stronger.
Rick, you are my Valentine ... Forever my Valentine.
| The pond where we took a walk on our first date ... 10 years later. |
| And the place where we had our first kiss. |

I enjoyed reading your love story! Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely precious!
ReplyDelete