Thursday, February 9, 2012

Make them Obedient

I am not talking about our children, pets, or even our spouses. I am talking about our thoughts.



In my quiet time this morning, my prayer topic was Emotions and the scripture reference was the second part of 2 Corinthians 10:5.

 ... we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 

I've read that scripture many times in my life, but this morning something really jumped out at me ... we have to MAKE our thoughts be obedient to Christ.

They don't want to be obedient to Christ. It's a lot easier not to be. They likely fight obedience at every opportunity. So we have a job to do.

First, the definition of the word "Captive" is ~ "Taken and held prisoner, as in war".  (from freedictionary.com)

Ever feel like you are in the midst of a war, especially in your mind?

During those times, we are to take each of our thoughts Captive, holding them prisoner, until they are MADE to be obedient to Christ. We aren't to let our thoughts float fleetingly through our minds, because typically they come out our mouth! Or, if we take them captive and not let them leave, but don't do the work to make them obedient to Christ, then they continue to fester and boil and then, eventually, burst. And we all know how that works out.

I don't have any specific advice as how to successfully do this. But I would imagine that we are called to take EACH thought, HOLD IT CAPTIVE, and wrangle with it, applying the truths of scripture to it, until we are confident it is OBEDIENT to what would glorify Christ. We aren't to give up and use those excuses that, i.e., "he deserves it", or "it's just the way I am", or "I can't help the way I feel".

No excuses.

Do the work to MAKE your thoughts be obedient to Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!