Thursday, June 23, 2011

Scratch ~n~ Sniff Post


Oh, how I wish you could scratch and sniff that photo, so you could enjoy the absolutely amazing fragrance of these blueberries Brynne and I picked this morning! You know the stickers that smell like "blueberries" or the Blueberry Muffin doll from the Strawberry Shortcake line? Blueberries really do smell like that! Or, at least, fresh ones do. I've never actually smelled that exact smell until today.

We went to a cool place called Thunderbird Berry Farm in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, and picked blueberries from 9:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. We walked away with right at 6 pounds of fresh, sweet, juicy, plump blueberries!

I was planning to do the "Give 2/3 to the Farm to Sell and Get 1/3 for Yourself for Free" deal, but after I worked so hard on them, and tasted how sweet they were (geez, fresh blueberries versus store-bought is no comparison!), I decided to just pony up the dough and buy them all!

I came home and divided them into ziplock baggies to freeze for later, reserving about 2 pints to use now. I ended up with 8 baggies.


Brynne was a real trooper! Picking blueberries is hard work! But she worked right alongside me for two full hours. The other families in our group gave up after a short time. We looked up at one point and saw that everybody was gone. But we were on a mission (and we had to drive a good 30 minutes to get there and wanted our trip to be worth it!) She even picked her own pound to keep in a bowl to eat herself. She deserves every blueberry!




This is definitely something I will do every year from now on.

2 comments:

  1. Wow she has gotten big.
    Sounds like a great time. We are going to go berry picking soon at a place called Huber's Family Farm. I love this place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Brynne! It looks like your hard work paid off!

    ReplyDelete

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!