Thursday, October 18, 2012

16 Candles

That's how many candles are going on Dawson's cake today. Yes, my 6'3" baby boy is 16 years old today. God help me. He hugged me last night and said, "Mom, can you believe I'm going to be 16 tomorrow?" And I said, "No. What the hell happened?"


The years have not flown by with Dawson. They have been a steady progression of his transition from colicky baby, to ... getting-up-six-times-a-night-until-he-was-three toddler, to ... naughty preschooler who always got the daily reports sent home about how he would not behave in class, to ... adorable elementary school kid who's best friend was a girl who tied his shoes for him until he was nine, to ... kind and loving late elementary student who always showed care and concern for those weaker than him, to ... bullied sixth grade student, to ... troubled and angry seventh grade student, to ... homeschooled student who blossomed in his relationships and regained a love for learning and found a love for video games, to ... high school sophomore in a new town, back in public school, with a girlfriend and an upcoming driver's license.


I love Dawson. He and I are very close. I know that our time homeschooling made a huge difference in our relationship. He's someone I like to be around and hang out with. He's a turd, don't get me wrong. He loves razzing people and trying to get a rise out of them. But, he is the sweetest, kindest, most loving turd I've ever known. Every mom of a daughter who has ever known him wants their daughter to marry someone just like him. I've even overhead other homeschooling moms in our former group talking to each other about him (and in a good way)! That makes a mama proud.


When Dawson was about 10 years old, I entered him into a contest with a radio station about being a good kid. He won. I told them about how he would always make a point to seek out the loneliest kid (probably one with special needs) and befriend him or her. Dawson is still like that today. In the 7th grade, he actually punched a kid in PE because the kid threw a special needs kid to the ground. This year he immediately befriended a young man who was new to the school. He didn't want him to feel as alone as he was feeling.


If there is one thing I am most proud of Dawson about, it would be his heart for other people. Second to that would be his work ethic. Third would be his baking abilities. Those three things together will make him a great husband someday.


But, let's not grow him up too fast! He still needs to get his driver's license. He can't take his test until December because he will not have his 6 months of permit driving completed until then. Secretly, that's okay with me. I can hold on to him for a couple more months, although that's getting harder and harder to do.


So, my sweet Dawson, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I love you and I am so proud to be your mama. I hope you enjoyed your little party last night, have a great day today, and have a blast with your two best buds in Oklahoma this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. You've done well with your 16 year old turd! Seems just yesterday we picked Kyndal up at the hospital and took her home with us while Dawson made his appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing he has a big car....he's gonna need it for his height!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they grow up so fast, don't they!?

    ReplyDelete

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!