Wednesday, October 24, 2012

BBC TV



As I have mentioned lately, I have become hooked on a couple of BBC drama series that are on PBS. Last year I wrapped myself completely around the amazing show "Downton Abbey". I watched the first season on Netflix and then check out the second season on dvd from my library. The third season starts in January and I CANNOT WAIT! Last night I saw a preview of the third season at the conclusion of my new favorite BBC series "Call the Midwife".


The first seson of "Call the Midwife" is on PBS right now. It is set in 1950's London and is based on the memoirs of Jennifer Worth who was a midwife to the poor of that area. The storylines are so rich and the weekly births of the babies bring me to tears. It is, by far, my favorite show on television right now.

Why all the BBC shows? Why is PBS so popular right now?

Because, let's face it, American television shows are either all reality or all filth. There is the occasional drama that is worth watching, but the choices are certainly limited. Now, I watch lots of reality television ("Project Runway", "The Amazing Race", "Survivor", "Chopped", "Cupcake Wars") and my share of borderline filth (although I try to stay away from it, out of personal preference) and I have a couple of dramas that I watch religiously ("Parenthood", "Criminal Minds", "Law and Order: SVU"). But I never walk away from any of those shows feeling like I have been bettered because of watching them!

America could never pull off "Downton Abbey" or "Call the Midwife". They would lose their class. They would cheapen them, throw in a raunchy factor, stupify the men, add violations and crime, and lots of sex. To me, it's a relief to live a few hours a week in the lives of people in the 1920's or 1950's, even if those lives have complications and conflict. There were, at least, standards of the time that are to be revered, in our time, where there are very few.

So, I encourage you .. if you are looking for some quality television to lighten your load and brighten your day (week, year ...), then check out "Downton Abbey" or "Call the Midwife", or just turn on PBS and see what other quality shows are available for your viewing.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen Revolution? It's a new show that so far isn't filthy. Katelyn and I have been enjoying it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE Downton! Can't wait for the 3rd season either!

    ReplyDelete

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!