It's time for my garden update!
Let me tell you ... the weather around here has been treacherous! But, my garden has LOVED it! All this rain has been awesome! Now bring on some sunshine and heat!
I have picked individual strawberries off my little patch and ate them on the spot. They are so juicy and sweet!
My broccoli seems to be stalled, and my tomatoes aren't doing too well. I just think the garden across the back of the house just hasn't gotten enough sun. Last year it did great! This year, not so much. I do have a few tomatoes starting to show themselves on one of my tomato plants.
My new garden is doing great! I even have a little jalapeno started! My husband loves jalapenos, so I will definitely be canning them. I'm not a big canner, but jalapenos are a different story.
I expect to have some pretty zucchini any time. There are little starts everywhere! My squash finally decided to get with the program and they are coming along nicely.
The real winners in my garden so far, because of all the cool weather and rain, are my spinach and lettuce! I can't possibly eat enough lettuce to keep up with those plants! I do love spinach and have been plucking off leaves to put on paninis and to steam for turkey burgers, etc. I think next year I will plant only one lettuce plant and more spinach.
I'm ready for grilled veggies and fresh tomatoes on my sandwiches! Brynne is anxiously awaiting the moment we can pull some carrots out of the ground.
I love how every year I learn a little more about my garden. Next year I already have plans to move my lettuce and spinach over to my old bed and move my tomatoes to my new bed so they can get more sun. I will also plant more strawberries.
And I have learned a lot about composting and my composting pile has already converted into some beautiful dark, rich soil. It's so cool!
There is some great gardening going on over at The Homeschool Village. Go see.

One of my favorite things about summer is the fresh, grilled veggies. I hope your garden continues to thrive!
ReplyDelete