Thursday, January 26, 2012

An Early Start

My LEAST favorite time of the day is the bedtime routine. Ughhhh... Baths, getting backpacks and clothes ready for the next day, filling the humidifier, setting the coffee pot, etc., etc., etc. I fizzle out by about 6:30 p.m. every night (at the latest), and there are many nights that I look at the clock and see that it's almost 8:00 and I haven't given the kids a bath or done anything toward getting us to bed.

So yesterday, when Eli and I walked in the door at 3:30 after school, I immediately put him in the bath, and then Brynne followed. While they were bathing, I got their beds turned down, their waters and vitamins, their humidifier filled, and Eli's clothes out for the next day. I got my coffee pot prepared and set. Then after dinner, all I had to do was start the dishwasher and relax. At 8:30 p.m., I called up to the kids and they climbed right into bed without any last-minute preparations.

When I was ready to go to bed, all I had to do was take my vitamins, wash my face, and climb into bed.

I liked that schedule.

I think I will try to do that from now on. I will take advantage of getting things done when I actually have energy instead of putting it off until I don't. Plus, getting it done before Rick gets home from work keeps him from feeling like he has to help me, after he has had a long day at work. It allows him to relax a little more at night, as well.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found a routine that works for you!
    My kids are in bed by 7:30 on school nights, so I start my preparations at 4:00. If I don't start it early, I end up scrambling before bed time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds much more relaxing than our nights!

    ReplyDelete

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!