I walk in the door after my impromptu trip to town to get kitty litter (post coming soon as to why) and run by the library.
Dawson is upstairs taking a shower. Brynne is coloring.
I walk through the living room, grab Eli's jammies and blankie to put away, straighten the pillows, fold up some blankets, and put away Brynne's cereal bowl. I go into Eli's room and throw the covers up on Brynne's bed, scoop some discarded goldfish crackers into my hand, and pick up a pair of dirty socks.
I sweep up a small pile of grass clippings in the laundry room, then make myself some oatmeal.
I yell upstairs to Dawson for him to hurry up because I have just picked up the dvd set of North and South from the library and I am anxious to start watching it. It was one of my favorite mini-series as a kid. And, yes, this is doing school because we are studying The Civil War. I think everything I previously knew about the war came from that mini-series or Gone with the Wind.
I sit down for a minute and think, "Dang, my life is good."
I am an ordinary mom, wife, and woman, with an extraordinary life.
My house is kind of a mess. I need to sweep up the wispy pieces of Crusoe's shedded dog hair, unload and reload the dishwasher, and I just saw a horrific amount of dust inside the entertainment center.
And there will be plenty of time for those things later.
For now, I'm cozying up on the couch with the kids and the dogs and starting the dvd.
Ten years ago, I would have never seen my life being where it is today. I couldn't be happier with the turns it has taken. Extraordinary, happy turns.
What a wonderful, sweet post!
ReplyDeleteI've been working on something similar to post tomorrow. I just got a reminder today to slow down and enjoy the present moment.
We all need to absorb what's good in our lives and dwell on that more than we do. Seems the negative has a way of moving to the front and that's not where it belongs. Enjoy your "happy place".
ReplyDeleteIs that the one with Patrick Swayze? I remember watching that too! Love this post. I sometimes say my life is "boring" but when I stop and think about it I realize it's not bad at all.
ReplyDelete