Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Random Thoughts About My Kids

When we moved into our house, almost four years ago, I told Dawson that in the amount of time we had lived in Owasso (6 years at that time), that Kyndal would be graduated in that same amount of time and leaving us. It truly feels like he and I had that conversation a month ago. It was four years ago. Kyndal will be graduating in a very short two years. It seems so unreal.

Speaking of Kyndal. I am so very proud of her. She is working hard at Sonic and being so responsible. She is getting her car this weekend, that she worked hard to prove that she deserved. She is showing such maturity in her relationship with her boyfriend, and with us. Now that she is driving she is constantly keeping in touch and making sure I know where she is. She hasn't been late even once. She is showing me what a great young lady she is.

It was very surreal to go to the insurance office today to get her car insurance set up. It made me realize the level of mature experiences she will be having from now on.

Especially as a homeschool mom, I want Dawson and Brynne to read a wide variety of literature. It "seems" important. And I set up a time schedule for Dawson to read every day. Then he gets a book from the library that he is interested in .. based on Halo, his favorite video game. It's a 350 page novel. When he was going up to bed tonight he came down and picked up his book to read. The level of literature grit just doesn' t matter to me when I see him reading just because he wants to.

Seven years ago I was very pregnant with Eli. I was laying on the couch and I yelled up the stairs for Dawson to take his bath (he was seven at the time). Kyndal had already taken hers. At that moment I thought, "What in the heck am I doing? I've got these two kids almost self-sufficient and I am getting ready to start over!" Tonight both Eli and Brynne gave themselves baths. I'm finally on my way to having a second round of self-sufficient kids. Again, it goes by so fast!

My kids don't fight. Sure, they have disagreements, occasionally, but they don't fight. We have never allowed it and because of our expectations, they have lived up to them and show us such a maturity in their abilities to navigate their relationships with each other. They make me so very proud! Our home is peaceful, and not chaotic. I never hear those "outbursts" upstairs because two of the kids are going at it in our home. They tell each other please and thank you and they are considerate to one another.

A couple of days ago I wasn't feeling very well. Yesterday Brynne asked me if I was feeling better. I told her I was better, but still not 100%. Eli said, "Mommy, you're 1000% because you are perfect."

I have the best kids in the world. I am blessed and I hope and pray that I take advantage of each and every moment, because what I am realizing is that those moments are becoming fewer and fewer.

2 comments:

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!