This is the final post in the HSV Garden Challenge for this year.
We got a late start in putting in our garden. But, with perfect temperatures for much of May and June, and with the right amount of rain and daily watering, our garden progressed well.
We tried some new things this year, with a bit of success. Although we didn't get a lot of potatoes, they were fun to plant and to dig out of the ground. I don't know that we will go to the trouble next year. But, they did give us something interesting to discuss when we were having our Key Ingredients school day.
I put in two different crops of tomato plants this year, in two different places. (Last year, because of the heat, I did not get ONE tomato!) I planted two organic tomato plants in one spot, a tomato plant from Lowe's in another spot, and next to it, a cherry tomato bush. One of my organic plants has LOTS of fruit. So far only two have ripened and I can't wait for the rest. The other one has not produced one piece of fruit. I cannot explain that.
The plants from Lowe's are doing exceptional! I have plucked off ripened cherry tomatoes for the past month and eaten them on the spot. There are about 100 unripened right now that are going to overtake me soon! And my regular tomato plant from Lowe's has lots of fruit waiting to ripen. I can say that I do not see the benefit in the organic tomato plants. They were a lot more expensive and are a lot more finicky!
My corn is doing REALLY well this year, and I think it is because of the placement. No cobs yet (but I really just plant corn for the stalks to decorate for fall anyway.)
I planted carrots, and ONE germinated. Who knows.
My jalapenos are doing wonderful and Rick is getting ready to have them for every meal! They are his favorite thing and they are HOT this year!!!
I planted two zucchini hills and one crooked yellow squash hill. They have grown nicely and we have already enjoyed some fresh zucchini. I am hoping for lots more that I can shred for our breads and muffins this winter. But, those darned SQUASH BUGS are making their presence known. I am going to get some neem oil today and pray that they don't dessimate one of my favorite crops.
And that's our garden. We are in the 100's here in Oklahoma now, and probably will be for the next two months. I am watering once, sometimes twice, a day, trying to keep them from scorching. So far, so good.
Next year I plan to pretty much plant the same things, but move them around a bit. And, I would like more color to my garden so I will incorporate more annuals to liven things up! I'm always learning!
The kids have shown a little more interest this year. But the one thing I have loved is that now they recognize MY love of gardening, and mention it to others. If nothing else, I am glad that they get a glimpse into what makes their mommy happy. I think that sometimes us moms feel like we do so much for our families that they don't really know US. I am trying to reveal myself to my family more and more.

We are trying potatoes for the first time this year too. I'm trying a tower. Did you traditional plant? I agree that it is fun sharing part of me with my family through my garden! :D Stopping by from the HSV Garden Challenge. :)
ReplyDeleteHave you ever made ratatouille with the zucchini? My family inhales that stuff!
ReplyDeleteAnd I hear you on the heat. I live in SW MO and my poor tomatoes are very cranky at the moment!