First let me give you a tad bit of history. Five years ago we achieved our "dream" of building a big, nice home in one of the posh neighborhoods. Around here, most everyone strives for that. It's a constant search for bigger and better. When you meet someone new, you almost always ask, "Where do you live?" And the answer either elicits an "oh" or an "Ohhhhhh!" Yeah, it's disgusting. And we bought right into it.
The warning signs were there EARLY ON that we should not build this house and move. And we have suffered consequences ever since. We have often said that we think our subdivision is on cursed ground. Nobody out here is happy. It's been a crappy place to live.
Couple that with some stick-it-to-you child support incidents from both ends of the spectrum and an economy that's in the toilet. Thankfully Rick has an excellent job, and we haven't sufferered like many have. But in this unstable world, that's always subject to change, isn't it?
We have desired for the last three years to sink this ship and move to higher ground. We have actually tried to make a move a couple of different times and it just didn't work out. The timing was obviously not right. God had his best in store for us instead of the good we thought we wanted.
A couple of weekends ago I went to Missouri to see my newly born niece. I came home with a house. That sounds simplistic, but that really is the way it happened.
My mom showed me a listing for a house a block away from theirs. It was listed for $17 a square foot. Did you read that right? No, it's not a typo. I called Rick and he said, "Let's do it." A couple of days later we learned that the house already had a contract on it. But, the stage was set, so we looked to see if there was anything else available. Guess what ... we found another great deal.
| Kind of looks like a camp cabin now, but there are changes in store. |
After some minor negotiations, we entered into a contract on the house this past week. The house has good bones, but needs TONS of work. In fact, we can't move in without completely repainting everything and redoing all of the floors. After that, it's livable, but will still require months of work. But, it's exciting!
The house was built in 1918. It's 6 years away from being 100 years old! It's walking or bike-riding distance away from my parents' house, and really anything we want to do. I'll get to regularly visit my grandma in the nursing home. I'll get to see my new niece every week instead of every few months. My sister and I can continue building our friendship. The kids can go to the lake whenever they want.
But more important than that ... Rick and I and the kids can concentrate on a simple life of just being together. We can ride our bikes to the Dairy Queen. We can go to the park. We can spend time together instead of all of our time mowing the yard or cleaning the house. The kids can go up to grandma's so we can have a night alone. We can join a bowling league together (they do that in small towns). We can immerse ourselves in small town community. We can just reconnect in ways that we have missed in the rat race of our recent life.
I will still homeschool Eli and Brynne. It's a lifestyle that we love and I don't want to change it. Dawson, however, has decided that he would like to go back to public school. I am all for it, if he is willing to put in the hard work. I think it's kind of cool that he will be going to the same high school that I did.
This will be an extreme period of transition for us with lots of adjustments. Please be praying for us.
With us starting school, working on the house, and moving, I don't know how much I will be able to blog. I hope to continue with regular posts, especially with updates to the house. So bear with us as we start this new chapter of our life.
How Exciting! Can't wait to see more before / after pictures.
ReplyDeleteLike you, we have decided to simplify ... and we couldn't have been happier. Ahhh, if we'd only known then what we know now, huh?
Very happy for you!
Take it from someone who has refused to buy in to the bigger and better....you will sleep SO MUCH better and your kids will have such good memories from the small town setting. I applaud your decision and can't wait to see what you do to your house. I LOVE the older homes. They have way more character and just feel like "home". Good luck with all the work that lies ahead. I'm so proud of you.
ReplyDeleteSO HAPPY for you all! That sounds very, very exciting.
ReplyDeleteI would love to be that close to all of my family again.
Praying for an ultra smooth transition.
You could not have posted this at a better time for me. I've been bugging my hubby to death about buying a house at Stone Canyon and moving from Skiatook b/c I always get caught up in the rat race and want to leave this small town. You just made me proud I live here! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, I am so excited for you! And maybe a little jealous too. That sounds WONDERFUL! I love old houses and small towns. I want to come and paint and decorate with you! I know you'll be busy, but keep us updated. Has your house sold yet? I will be praying for your fun transition!
ReplyDeleteCongrats Nicole! Sounds like a fun adventure ahead! But, I was just curious...did Rick get a new job or will you be close enough for him to commute? Love reading your blog :) ......Beth in Ohio
ReplyDeleteHi Beth! I have deliberately left out details about Rick's job because, unfortunately, there are those out there who we would prefer not have access to that information.
DeleteSo exciting! We made the move from California to Texas 7 years ago - from a city of over 1 million to a small town of 13,000. Love it!!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to here more and see the pictures!
Oh my goodness, I love this! The house has amazing potential, and I have no doubt that you will turn it into a gorgeous home for you and your wonderful family. I just have to say, I love how you keep it real!
ReplyDeleteI am sooo jealous. I absolutely HATE my big house (4,000+ sqft). This house is a constant fight w/ my family. I am so sick of cleaning rooms that aren't even used or filled w/ useless stuff. I'm constantly depressed b/c so much needs to be done and when I complain to my husband - he'll just ask me what needs to be done? He honestly doesn't see the clutter, sticky floors, (4) dirty bathrooms, dusty hardwoods, torn dirty carpets, trees growing into the house, peeling paint, etc. With a full-time job & a husband that travels for his job, I regret to this day not moving closer to my family (and into a smaller house) 15 years ago! You are (definitely!) doing the right thing!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for your family. We live in a mid-size town in OK, but there just isn't any sense of community here. The husband & I talk all the time about just selling the house & moving our family to a smaller community. So I am super jealous that you are doing it!!! Congrats!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you! Congrats!!! What an exciting time for your family. I look forward to reading all about your new adventure.
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited and happy for you!!! I know how many times you've thought of moving and am so thrilled you found the perfect place!!! Can't wait to hear more about your journey :)
ReplyDelete