Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Nicole's Daybook

Outside my window... it's in the mid-70's today ... in Portland, Oregon, where I am. In Oklahoma, where I am not, it's in the 100's this week.

I am thinking... about how there is more to being a parent than to make your kids "happy". Happiness is a choice. A good parent provides an environment for their kids that makes them feel loved, secure, safe, one with boundaries, rules, responsibilities, and gentle teaching and guiding, one that will prepare them for the harshness of life when they are an adult, one where they will be prepared to stand on their own two feet without the constant need of someone else's help (yes, sometimes you still have to ask for help when you need it, or even accept it when it is freely offered, but it's not a constant expectation of entitlement). If these things are provided for my kids and they aren't "happy", then that is their choice. I take parenting very seriously. I have a very important job to do. And providing "happiness" isn't it. I hope that my kids will be happy. But, again, if they choose not to be, "so be it."

I am thankful ... to be able to spend time with my brother and sister-in-law this week, even if it is to work. Preparing for the birth of another baby in our family is special, and I wouldn't trade this opportunity for anything.

I am wearing... traveling clothes. I am currently on an airplane with my mom headed to Portland to see my brother and sister-in-law to help them paint their house.

I am planning...  the last bits of our Olympics unit study that we will start the day I get back from this trip. It's time for school!!
 
I am creating... a new look to my brother's house. Here is the before pic from a couple of years ago.


I am going... to not be able to move my arms over the next few days from all this hard labor! I better get used to it, though ...

I am reading... The Pilgrim Adventure by Susan Kilbride. I am writing a review for this book. Look for it on Journey to Excellence next week. I'm also reading Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. It is an inspirational and tactical book about how to bring nature back into the lives of our children, for their physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. I have got some great plans for this next school year. You can read my thoughts on all of the chapters by going HERE.

I am hoping... for some good news this week!

From the learning rooms... The kids are getting a much-needed TOTAL week off. Eli and Brynne will be easing back into a school routine starting Monday with a unit on The Olympics. We will not start our full schedule until mid-August. Right now it will be some math review (with a product I am reviewing for TOS), our unit studies on The Olympics and then Caves. These will have mostly history, geography, literature, language arts, and fine arts. Dawson will most-likely be going back to public school next year, so he and I are talking a lot about that.

Noticing that ... I will probably lose some weight this week. I will be involved in several days of painting, the inevitable healthy eating being here with my brother and sister-in-law, and all of the recreational walking we will do (they don't use their car much .. mostly ride their bikes, walk, or take the bus or train). No complaints here.

From the kitchen... Well, I have no idea what my family is eating back home. My brother and sister-in-law are mostly vegetarians, eating no sugar or gluten. It's always fun to see what foods they have in store for us. (I do have some snacks packed, though!)

Around the house... are messes, I would imagine. I'm not there to constantly pick up.

One of my favorite things... is Downton Abbey, and I am watching Season 2 this week.

A few plans for the rest of the week... Painting, painting, painting, and hopefully a trip to Powell's Books.

From my picture journal.

Naptime.
The "puppies" have their own room where they take their afternoon nap (yes, my puppies have a designated nap time). But it is out in the garage. Even though the room is air conditioned, it is still warm in there. On this day it was over 100 degrees outside and I was doing work on the computer at the kitchen table. So, they napped next to me.


Lots of women Daybook. See what they have to say at The Simple Woman's Daybook.



2 comments:

  1. Lucky YOU...enjoying a cool morning in Portland. Does your brother and sister in law have an extra bedroom? I think I could still catch a flight out this morning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is too cute!
    You have been so busy, lately!

    ReplyDelete

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!