Thursday, December 29, 2011

Rebuilding

Yesterday I had the immense pleasure of going to have coffee with a wonderful friend. Several years ago she and I, and another one of our friends, got together once a week to scrapbook and share lunch. It was something I always looked forward to. Our families did lots of things together. Her husband and mine got along great. Our daughters were very good friends.

On a weekend back-to-school shopping trip. Love those ponchos!

Then I had Eli and then Brynne. Our scrapbook days dwindled. Other friendships started to take priority. And, we drifted apart. Over the past five or so years, we have seen each other occasionally. Her and her husband have come over a couple of times. She and I have gone to lunch.

But I ran into her at Walmart the other day and we just talked and talked. Our lives are still on the same paths and we have so much in common. Finally her husband came up and said, "Okay, ladies, wrap it up." We said we'd have coffee. But, we've said that before and then run into each other six months later and realized that we hadn't.

So this time, I immediately set it up so time wouldn't get away from us.

Oh, what a special time we had. We had coffee and talked for over two hours. I think we could have gone on for several more. I left feeling so refreshed and energized. A friendship has not made me feel that way in a long, long time.

We have now made plans to start getting together for one or two Tuesdays a month for lunch and a Bible study. For the first time in years, I am so looking forward to just spending time with a friend. I've been hurt and betrayed by friends in the past couple of years, and I have pretty much secluded myself from them. But not anymore. That time just felt too good and I realize that I need it more than I thought I did.

We talked about how we want to have better friendships, but I shared that I don't want new friends. What I realized is that I have good friends. I just don't nurture them. During this difficult time with Kyndal moving to her dad's, I have had a few specific friends reach out to me. I realized that these ladies are my true friends, and I am going to work on rebuilding and strengthening my friendships with them.

One of the things we talked about yesterday were our New Years Resolutions. I don't typically make any beyond the 'get organized, eat better, get in shape' type of resolutions. But this year I actually have one, and it's ..............




.......... you'll have to check back tomorrow to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!