Last night Kyndal and I received a small glimpse into what our relationship will be like from now on. I picked her up, we grabbed some Starbucks, talked, and then went to Target so that she could get Christmas gifts for Dawson, Eli and Brynne.
We did talk about things that have happened over the past few weeks. We made peace about some things. We talked about both of our fears for the future. But, mostly, we just spent time hanging out. Although tears fell, there were even more smiles.
For the first time in her life, I got to experience the relationship with her that her dad has had the pleasure of having with her all these years. Raising children, especially teenagers, on a day-to-day business is riddled with stress and anxiety. It is such an enormous responsibility that permeates through every second of your relationship with them. It's hard to just relax and have fun. And it's hard to put it into words, but when you are hanging out with your child knowing that your decisions are no longer the ones that are making the day-to-day difference, a weight is lifted and you can enjoy your child in a way that you've never experienced. All of a sudden you can just focus on your relationship instead of all that junk that constantly hangs on your ever move.
Kyndal and I have always had a contentious relationship. Although there will be challenges, I think we both know deep down that we will enjoy our mother-daughter relationship so much more without all of the stress.
I ask for continued prayers for Kyndal as she transitions into her new life. Moving to a new school, to a new town, into a completely new family dynamic will have it's challenges.
I am so glad you got to spend time with her. I hope it gave you some peace.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you had some quality time with her. I will continue to pray for you both. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteSending prayers to both you and her. I'm glad you had a good time together!
ReplyDelete