Saturday, December 17, 2011

What Really Matters

Days like today remind me of what really matters in life.

It's an especially happy day because it's the day of Eli's long-awaited birthday party and he woke up so excited!

I rose early to make a Wii remote cake for him. My talents are extremely limited, and I am a total amateur. But when Eli saw it he said, "It looks so great! Mommy, you are the best cake decorator ever." And that's all that matters.

I left for a bit to run some errands, including shipping Kyndal's Christmas gifts to her. I hope that she enjoys the things I got her. I wish I could be there to see her open them. But, I know that she will be doing what makes her happy on Christmas. So that, again, is all that matters.

We are about to complete the first semester of this year. I have been so overjoyed with how Dawson and Brynne have done homeschooling so far this year. I have seen such maturity and independence out of Dawson. He does his work and does it well. And he and I enjoy the time we get to spend together. He seems so happy and content. We have engaged in an enthralling study of American History, and learned so much about our country. Brynne just continues to amaze me with her abilities. She is so, so smart! I love to watch her learn. Dawson has recently said that he wouldn't want to go back to public school, even if he got the chance because he doesn't want our relationship to change. In this homeschooling thing, that truly is all that really matters. Strong and loving relationships make the hard word and sacrifice worth it. (Well, that and a good education, which they are both getting.)

Rick has a chance to go to the Fiesta Bowl in Arizona to watch the OSU Cowboys play. I wish I could go, but I can't leave the kids. He is worried about leaving me on New Year's Eve (yeah, right ... me who goes to bed at 9:30 p.m. that night every year.) But, to me, this is a historic time that he should go and absolutely enjoy! He is so excited! That's what really matters to me.

Christmas is here. Wonder and magic are in the air. The kids are frantically excited. We will have the opportunities to spend lots of time together over this Christmas break. We're going to go to the movies and go bowling, do Christmas crafts and bake. We're going to spend lots of time with friends. I am certain I'll have a house full of teenage boys, eating me out of house and home. I'll get to do some organizing and resting and reading, and I'll be getting some plans together for the next semester of school. We will all be doing exactly what we want. For us, hanging out at home is what makes us happy. And that is what matters the most.

I can feel a quickening in my spirit to get back in tune with the Lord. In the midst of all that has happened, good and bad, that truly is all that matters!

This holiday season, I choose to focus on those things that are good in my life. And there are so many. I will be praying for happy times for Kyndal and my extended family, as well.

1 comment:

In this blogging world we all know that comments are what keep us blogging! So, comment!!!